City Unable to Exorcise Devils

City's Harley Gepp fires a shot past a Campbelltown defender late in the match.

City Unable to Exorcise Devils

Adelaide City fell 1-0 to long time foe Campbelltown City on Saturday afternoon in a tight, tense encounter at Steve Woodcock Sports Centre.

By Michael Barbaro (@michaelbarbz22)

City entered the match depleted, as Anthony Costa sat out due to calf tightness sustained during the week.

Creative midfielder Tom Love was also in the stands for the match as he continued to nurse a hip-flexor injury.

Coach Damian Mori rang in the changes for the match; Jace Cummins started on the bench and Brad Corbo was selected to partner Matt Halliday in the heart of defence, while Joel Allwright started at right-back.

Evan Kostopoulos took the injured Costa’s place up front, as Mamadi Kamara started on the left flank.

City looked troubled early on in the contest, with Campbelltown enjoying a great amount of possession in opening ten minutes.

The Red Devils looked threatening to City’s defence, and in the 27th minute they found a way through.

New signing and ex-Melbourne City and Adelaide United striker Marc Marino was put clean through on goal with a fantastic through ball, and was brought down by Luke Ostbye inside the penalty area.

Referee Daniel Cook pointed to the spot, subsequently giving Ostbye a yellow card for his challenge.

Campbelltown had a penalty, and Marino stepped up and made no mistake, sending a low drive just inches past Ostbye’s outstretched palm.

This meant that City faced an uphill battle in the match as Campbelltown looked to shut out the visitors.

Joseph Costa and Valentino Yuel had a pair of chances to bring the game to parity, but were denied thanks to saves from Nick Harpas.

No more real chances were created for the remainder of the half, as the half-time score stayed at 1-0 in favour of the hosts.

The Black and Whites came out firing in the second half, attacking their opponents and looking for a more direct style of play.

Mori made personnel changes early in the half; Mamadi Kamara was pulled off for right-back Jacob Butler-Bowdon, as Joel Allwright was pushed further up the park on Kamara’s left-flank.

In the 62nd minute, things seemed to go from bad to worse for City, as a defensive mishap saw Luke Ostbye give away another penalty.

This time, Matt Mullen stepped up to the task, but his low drive was saved outstandingly by Ostbye.

However, City were unable to capitalise on this, and despite pouring numbers forward and seeking opportunities deep into the 2nd half  in the hope of an equaliser, the home team prevailed.

Adelaide City are back at Adelaide City Park in Round 3 to take on West Torrens Birkalla next Saturday, in what is sure to be a great contest for two teams looking to get back to the winners list.