Adelaide City Go One Up

Surrounded by defenders, Evan Kostopoulos shoots and scores to give Adelaide City the one goal advantage

Adelaide City Go One Up

Adelaie City took a major step towards the 2017 PlayStation 4 National Premier Leagues SA Grand Final, with a vital away win over MetroStars at TK Shutter Reserve on Saturday afternoon in the first-leg of their Major Semi-Final tie

By Michael Barbaro

The 1-0 result sees City take a vital away goal and win back to Adelaide City Park in the return fixture next Saturday.

It was an expected fiery start to the encounter with a lot of small fouls committed in the opening to the match.

However, the first real chance of the game came through the hosts.

Adam van Dommele’s cross found Jonathan Negus, whose header was saved by Ryan Veitch.

Two minutes later, van Dommele’s back pass wasn’t dealt with properly and Anthony Costa almost deflected the ball into the back of the net, very nearly giving City an early lead.

It was a rather uneventful half of football; the two sides deadlocked after the first half’s proceedings.

The second half began, and in the 53rd minute, the match had an interesting twist.

Metro’s Christian Esposito was brought down in the penalty area, and referee Eric Sestili had no hesitation in pointing to the spot.

Esposito was faced with the task of breaking the deadlock from 12 yards, however the former AlbinoLeffe striker blazed his shot wide after sending Veitch the wrong way.

Following the penalty miss, City began to pile on the pressure and finally reaped rewards in the 65th minute.

Evan Kostopoulos collected the ball near the touchline and took a couple of touches before unleashing a low, driven shot with his left foot into the bottom right corner beating a diving Isaac Carmody.

It was a deserved goal for the visitors, with the strike providing City with a vital away goal.

Carlo Armiento replaced Joseph Costa on 67 minutes, and the young City prodigy began causing trouble for the MetroStars’ defence.

The hosts began to pile pressure on City, in search of an equaliser, but neither team added to the scoreline for the remainder of the match.

City managed to hang on for the vital win, and now set their sights on next week’s return fixture where they will hope to progress to their second successive PS4 NPL SA Grand Final.