City progress in the FFA Cup

City progress in the FFA Cup

Round 2 FFA Cup – Campbelltown City vs Adelaide City match report By Euan James

Adelaide City has beaten the 10 men of Campbelltown City on penalties to progress to the third round of the FFA Cup. It was a cold and windy Thursday night at the Steve Woodcock Sports Centre which didn’t deter City from finding a way to win.

The referee had to take control of the game early on as late tackles were flying in. Campbelltown captain Iain Fyfe paid the price for this in the 2nd minute as he received a straight red card.

City looked to capitalise on their numerical advantage but Campbelltown made it hard for them. Both teams had chances, although it was Campbelltown who broke the deadlock through Marc Marino. His shot in the 44th minute deceived Ryan Veitch in goals for City.

The second half began with Chris Pepe bombing down the wing for City – who was a standout on the night. City pushed hard to equalise and was rewarded in the 65th minute when Anthony Costa’s low driven shot beat the keeper to make it 1-1.

Evan Kostopoulos was given the captains armband in Marcos Flores’s absence. In the 74th minute, Nicholas Bucco won City a penalty and Evan Kostopoulos stepped up to take it. Although, the armband couldn’t help him from missing – as his shot sailed over the crossbar. Evan’s penalty would have given City the lead with 15 minutes to go but it was not to be.

The two sides could not be separated at full-time and extra time was needed. Both teams made substitutions and picked up more yellow cards.

Extra time finished 1-1 and both teams were destined for the dreaded penalty shootout.

To be expected, there was no shortage of drama in the penalty shootout. City and Campbelltown both scored their first penalties. Nicholas Bucco then stepped up to bury his and make it 2-1.

The next Campbelltown penalty cannoned against the crossbar, giving City the advantage. Anthony Costa showed more nerves of steel to score his penalty.

Campbelltown then pulled one back as they converted their next penalty to make it 3-2. The occasion didn’t faze Benny Kovadio who continued City’s scoring from the spot. 

It all came down to the next penalty. If Campbelltown were to miss they would be eliminated – and they did just that. The Steve Woodcock Sports Centre erupted in celebration and it capped off a hard-fought victory for City.

The next round of FFA Cup matches will be held on Friday, May 3. In the meantime, up next for City is Para Hills on Thursday 25th at Adelaide City Park.

Match statistics

Campbelltown City        1 (Marino 44′)

  Adelaide City                 1 (A. Costa 65′)                       2-4 Penalties (J. Costa, Bucco, A. Costa, Kovadio)

Lineup: 1. Ryan Veitch (GK), 3. Bradley Corbo, 45. Tomas Maricic, 4. Elliot Green (96′ 22. Haris Vuckic), 6. Dominic Matricciani (94′ 19. James Boffa), 8. Joseph Costa, 10. Evan Kostopoulos (C), 11. Nicholas Bucco, 15. Chris Pepe (63′ 12. Benny Kovadio), 9. Anthony Costa, 18. Paul Radice (78′ 17. Stefan Casalbore)

Unused subs:  20. Luke Ostbye (GK)