City Shoot Down Foxes

Adelaide City goalscorer Mamadi Kamara evades a Cumberland defender in yesterday's 2-1 win

City Shoot Down Foxes

Adelaide City survived a late scare on Saturday afternoon as they held on for a 2-1 victory against Cumberland United at Adelaide City Park on Saturday afternoon.

By Michael Barbaro

Damian Mori’s men tightened their grip on second place while firmly remaining within striking distance of competition leaders Adelaide Comets as they notched up their sixth win of the season.

Consequently, the Foxes were unable to move off the bottom of the table, three points adrift of 11th-placed Para Hills.

It was a frantic opening to the encounter with City controlling the game’s tempo from the beginning, but the two teams remained deadlocked throughout the opening half hour of play.

However, City continued pressing and were rewarded for their efforts in the 37th minute. Dylan Smith collected the ball from inside the 18-yard-box and sent a low, driven cross which was converted by Anthony Costa from within six yards.

It was Costa’s eighth goal in as many matches, as the striker closes in on leading goalscorer Andreas Wiens of Adelaide Comets.

Eight minutes later, the Black and Whites doubled their lead.

A similar situation occured, but this time a cross beat Cumberland goalkeeper Luke Schoen before winger Mamadi Kamara nodded the ball into the back of the empty net from close-range.

Kamara’s header meant that the hosts went into the half-time break with a 2-0 lead, looking good value in the meantime.

At the commencement of the second half, the Foxes came out with a point to prove, working endlessly and tirelessly in search of an elusive goal.

The visitors hard work paid off in the 60th minute when winger Harley Gepp’s effort beat City’s Ryan Veitch at the far post.

Cumberland continued to press as they searched for an unlikely equaliser, with Gepp often causing headaches for City.

However, their defence continued to contain the Foxes’ attack as they were reluctant to let in a second goal.

Cumberland had a golden chance to snatch points away from City, as in the 87th minute Gepp’s cross across the goalmouth was blazed over the bar from within six yards.

It was the last real chance of the game, as City took the important three points into next week’s important clash with Adelaide Olympic.