Cup Run Comes To An End

SA Cup Final starting eleven Pic Adam Butler

Cup Run Comes To An End

Adelaide City fell within 90 minutes of a Westfield FFA Cup berth after a 2-0 loss to MetroStars in the South Australian Final leg of the tournament’s preliminary round.

By Michael Barbaro (michaelbarbz22)

It was a disappointing encounter for the City boys, who were looking for their first FFA Cup appearance since their dream run in 2014, where Thomas Love’s strike allowed them to defeat the Western Sydney Wanderers.

MetroStars kicked off the match with intensity, getting off to a good start through Jonathan Negus, whose header flew past an oncoming Luke Ostbye and into the net.

It was a huge goal for Negus, scoring against the club where he once plied his trade, and giving his side the start they were looking for.

They continued to press, but on 21 minutes it was City who had a golden chance to draw level.

Anthony Costa’s brilliant hold-up play on the byline led to a cut-back, but Joel Allwright couldn’t convert from six yards.

Eight minutes later, City again had a great chance – again through Allwright.

Anthony Costa’s through-ball was fed to Allwright, who forced a great block out of MetroStars skipper Michael D’Aloisio, denying City of the equaliser.

The Black and Whites went into the half-time break with a lot of work to do, and Mori’s men came returned seemingly more motivated as they continued to press for the illusive goal to draw level.

They continued to dominate possession and press, looking threatening on several occasions but to no avail.

However, the task was made even tougher in the 64th minute after MetroStars doubled their lead through former Novara and Catanzaro striker, Christian Esposito.

Fabian Barbiero’s drive was blocked by Ostbye, and Esposito’s follow-up was unable to be stopped.

Mori continued to change things up for his side; introducing Mamadi Kamara to the fray, but the winger was dealt with well by the MetroStars defence.

Adelaide City continued to press for the remainder of the game, but were unable to find a goal as the match ended up 2-0.

The two sides meet again in the league next week, as City look to seek retribution and extend their 9-point lead at the top of the PlayStation 4 NPL SA table.