Road To The Final

SA Cup Semi goalscorer Nic Bucco Pic Adam Butler

Road To The Final

Adelaide City and MetroStars emerge from the tunnel at Coopers Stadium and onto the pitch in 3 days time to face-off for South Australia’s spot in the 2017 Westfield FFA Cup National Round of 32. Here’s how they got there.

Adelaide City

Round 1
Adelaide City 7 (D. Smith 7’, 52’, 87’, 89’, C. Armiento 25’, M. Kamara 50’, OG 69’)
Adelaide Cobras 0
Adelaide City Park

A five-goal second half in Round 1 set Adelaide City on their way in Cup Football for 2017, this was perhaps new signing Dylan Smith’s best game during his spell for the Black and Whites before moving to Green Gully in Victoria. Youngster Carlo Armiento scored the goal of the game in the 25th minute – rifling home from outside the area.

Round 2
Adelaide City 4 (M. Kamara 35, A. Costa 37′, 57′, D. Smith 83′)
White City 0
Adelaide City Park

City were favoured to progress through a second home tie against a side in a lower tier of South Australian and they turned in another professional performance. Two goals in each half saw Damian Mori’s men advance to a massive Quarter-Final task.

Campbelltown City 1 (L. Ditroia 57′)
Adelaide City 2 (A. Costa 37′, 90′)
Steve Woodcock Sports Centre

This Quarter-Final was tense, and tight, until the final whistle. It was a rematch of the 2016 PlayStation 4 National Premier League Grand Final which saw Campbelltown City emerge victorious over an Adelaide City side they hadn’t beaten all season. Results this season would suggest City are out to make amends for that defeat this time around an Anthony Costa winner just moments from extra time sealed his side’s path to the last four.

Adelaide Blue Eagles 1 (S. Simic 16′)
Adelaide City 5 (E. Kostopoulos 14′, J. Allwright 26′, 40′, J. Costa 28′, N. Bucco 57′)
The Parks Football Centre

The stage was set for two famous South Australian Clubs to clash on a chilly Wednesday night at The Parks for a spot at Coopers Stadium the following weekend. The opening 20 minutes was end-to-end with a bit of edge to the game before City broke it wide open before the half. Sublime team goals were the order of a dazzling quarter hour which saw three goals fly in – two of which to Joel Allwright who has fitted back in seamlessly following his Hyundai A-League stint with Newcastle Jets.


Round 1
MetroStars 3 (C. Pascarella 3’, L. Wooding 57’, 85’)
Adelaide Olympic 3 (C. Pounendis 7’, 29’, 31’)
MetroStars won 4-3 on penalties.
TK Shutter Reserve

MetroStars were very nearly bundled out of the Cup at their first hurdle! A hattrick to Adelaide Olympic’s Christos Pounendis had shot the visitors ahead in Klemzig before a second half fight back spearheaded by Liam Wooding forced extra-time and the lottery of a penalty shootout. The home crowd advantage proved the difference as Isaac Carmody in goals brought his side over the line.

Round 2
Cumberland United 1 (F. Marafioti 22’ (pen))
MetroStars 5 (M. Dawber 3’, 6’, 16’, 59’, C. Esposito 54’)
A.A Bailey Reserve

A fantastic hattrick within the first 16 minutes from Matthew Dawber expelled any thoughts MetroStars had of their Round 1 clash as they dispatched Cumberland United 5-1 away from home. Dawber added his fourth whilst Esposito continued his knack of popping up with a goal on a regular basis. This one was over with a half hour remaining.

MetroStars 4 (L. Wooding 30’ (pen), 49’, J. Negus 83’,
C. Esposito 88’)
Croydon Kings 2 (R. Visconte 48’, A. Trimboli 69’)
TK Shutter Reserve

Another Cup goalfest at TK Shutter Reserve in the Quarter-Finals saw Liam Wooding again star with this time the first two goals of the game to power his side ahead against a Croydon outfit who are usually tight at the back. Croydon responded with two equalisers before Negus and Esposito sealed the deal for Robbie Saraceno’s charges in the last 10 minutes.

Semi Final
West Torrens Birkalla 0
MetroStars 2 (A. Solagna 18’, C. Esposito 66’)
Adelaide Shores Football Centre

The tighter of the two Semi-Finals last week saw two great strikes seal a spot in the Final for MetroStars. Solagna’s drive from outside the area took a wicked deflection which beat young Joe Gauci in the Birkalla net before Christian Esposito’s stunning free-kick left the gloveman with no chance again in the second half.

 Courtesy FFSA